The competition will be held at the The Glasshouse International Centre for Music, Gateshead from the morning of Sunday 19th January and will be finished on the evening of Saturday 25th January.
Rehearsals for the finalists will take place on the 24th & 25th January. The competition will also feature recitals, masterclasses and workshops open to the public. Full programme and details to be confirmed late 2024.
Please note that the competition rounds are open to the public, and may be livestreamed on the official competition Facebook page and distributed amongst our partners (e.g., The Violin Channel).
We thank you for applying to the fourth Cecil Aronowitz International Viola Competition, and we wish you the very best of luck!
Dr. Louise Lansdown
Artistic Director and Founder
- The repertory for Round 1, 2, 3 and 4 for participants that successfully advance beyond the video round must be submitted by 15th November 2024.
- All competitors that advance from the video round will play in both Rounds 1 and 2. Eight competitors will be selected to advance to the third round, and of this group, three competitors will then be selected to proceed to the final round.
- The order of appearance by the participants will be decided upon arrival. This order will remain unaltered throughout Round 1 and 2 of the Competition.
- The Competition will consist of four rounds that will take place live at The Glasshouse, of which all will be open to the public. Round 4 (Final Round) will take place at The Glasshouse, Gateshead with Royal Northern Sinfonia.
- All competitors must be age 18 or under at the time of the competition.
- All competitors must be accompanied by a legal guardian.
- All competitors must be members of the British Viola Society. Link to join here: http://www.britishviolasociety.co.uk/support/join/ (FREE for 18 years and under)
- Competitors of all nationalities are encouraged to apply.
- There will be five jury members.
Chairperson: Jo Cole
- Any juror having a teaching or professional relationship with a participant must declare such relationship and will abstain from voting on the participant’s performances. No juror shall have a family relationship with a participant.
- The jury will award all prizes.
- The decisions of the jury are final.