The competition will be held at The Glasshouse International Centre for Music, Gateshead from the morning of Sunday 19th January and will be finished on the evening of Saturday 25th January.
Rehearsals for the finalists will take place on the 24th and 25th January. The competition will also feature recitals, masterclasses and workshops open to the public. Full programme and details to be confirmed late 2024.
Please note that the competition rounds are open to the public and may be livestreamed on the official competition Facebook page and distributed amongst our partners (e.g., The Violin Channel).
We thank you for applying to the fourteenth Lionel Tertis International Viola Competition, and we wish you the very best of luck!
- The repertory for Round 1, 2, 3 and 4 for participants that successfully advance beyond the video round must be submitted by 15th November 2024.
- All competitors that advance from the video round will play in both Rounds 1 and 2. Eight competitors will be selected to advance to the third round, and of this group, three competitors will then be selected to proceed to the final round.
- In rounds 1 and 2 of the LTIVC, competitors will be heard in strict alphabetical order of their surnames. For the semi-final, the eight competitors will play in the order determined by a random blind selection process. The three finalists will play in an order similarly determined.
- The Competition will consist of four rounds that will take place live at The Glasshouse, of which all will be open to the public. Round 4 (Final Round) will take place at The Glasshouse, Gateshead with Royal Northern Sinfonia.
- All competitors must be aged between 19 - 30 at the time of the competition.
- All competitors must be members of the British Viola Society. Link to join here: http://www.britishviolasociety.co.uk/support/join/ £10.00 for age 19 and above only for LTIVC applicants.
- Competitors of all nationalities are encouraged to apply.
- There will be five jury members.
Chairperson: George Caird
- Any juror having a teaching or professional relationship with a participant must declare such relationship and will abstain from voting on the participant’s performances. No juror shall have a family relationship with a participant.
- The jury will award all prizes.
- The decisions of the jury are final.